Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 AM
DrRoger
N00b

DrRoger is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS on Verizon Touch

Hello,

So far so good with the VZ Touch. All my Palm programs (I had to install the WM versions of course) work on it so I've effectively combined my Palm T3 with my cellphone. But...VZ Navigator on my LG 8300, won't run on the Touch. I've heard that within a couple of months they'll have it running. VZ is now dead set on providing VZ Nav to ALL its phones.

In the meantime, I bought Delorme Street Atlas 2009+ with a BT-20 GPS puck for $100. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...&section=10048 So far I've not succeeded, after 4 hours work, in downloading a single map on to the Touch. Some kind of ActiveSync problem. The BT puck alone is worth $50 so I guess I'll just wait and see. I don't have a data connection, (pay $130 a month already for home and office Internet!) or I could use Microsoft's Live Search so I have to keep working with Delorme to get the issue resolved. The Plus comes with 150 million phone #s on your desktop! Handy, though whitepages.com and yellowpages.com provide that info.

Over at buygpsnow.com they have reviews by people who bought various software GPS programs, and that's very useful. Anyone know how to download a google map of my preferred city on to my mobile using ActiveSync, (again, I don't have a data connection, seldom need it) and then use the BP puck to navigate? I'm not desperate, as I have a car GPS..this is in case I travel. The BT-20 works fine because I downloaded a trial version of Odyssey Mobile and it worked OK. In fact they're probably the most economical of the map programs and it does not need a data connection on the phone. The screen interface was a bit primitive, but it wasn't bad at all, really. See http://www.infogation.com/ If you have a GPS puck with your Touch, its worth a free try.

Thanks!
Roger