Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Falcon4
Lurker

Falcon4 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Falcon4
Re: Apache WM6.1 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.19716 (Build 19716.1.0.0) - UPDATED 20080308

Holy hell! After stepping out into the forum from my comfortable Google-created home of the old WM6.0-on-PPC6700 post, I have to say you guys have totally breathed new life into my ol' 6700. Much to the dismay of Micro$oft and $print, who would love to have me buy a new $600 PPC! *scoff*

I have to say I love this "kitchen" thing. Kinda cartoony, and the RUU _really_ needs some work to tell me more status information - it hung because my ActiveSync tasks were, well, is the proper term "threadlocked"?, and I spent about half an hour trying to make it work before realizing that. But it's a godsent. I can finally remove the crap I don't need from the OS! Well, some of it, at least. I still can't get rid of the cell phone functionality in its entirety, and junk like "contacts", "notes", etc... The pre-"cooked" ROMs available for download are nice and all too, but come with just too much stuff I don't need.

Speaking of stuff I don't need, I've had varying degrees of success in getting rid of my 6700's cell phone functions... something I've been trying to do since I married it and TomTom. For wireless internet-anywhere on the PPC, I use my tether-hacked LG VX8300 phone over Bluetooth, which works like a dream in most cases. Streaming music is a problem for it since the PPC doesn't seem to recognize it as a data connection, so it both won't establish a connection on demand, and it idle-disconnects when it shouldn't. Oh well, more bugs to work out for another day.

At any rate, I've found that, with the exception of the touch screen's "bowing" problem (I can no longer access the "keyboard" button in the center of the button bar, but it's useless to me anyway), I have no need for a new PPC! The one I have is perfectly fine with just some support from third parties like this. You guys effing rule!

edit in re: above: May be a thing to do with that darn predictive dictionary thing. I'd love to be able to remove that too. Is that possible? Should be easier than trying to remove the phone... right?
edit edit: Looks like you can disable it by entering the on screen keyboard -> Options -> Word Completion -> uncheck "Suggest words when entering text". That should help! But I'd like to save space by removing that whole dictionary... =|

Last edited by Falcon4; 04-20-2008 at 12:34 AM.