View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 AM
jakdillard
The Trend Setter

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Prefer User Customization or Tweaked ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharvey4651 View Post
3rd party neutral here. I will admit that I have only skimmed the surface of knowledge when it comes to building a custom ROM. I understand the terminology used but would not know where to begin when it comes to actually building these custom operating systems so here is my neutrality...

As a mediator having read this whole thread, I just have to speak my mind on a couple of things. I understand that I will probably get flamed for this but I really don't care as I feel as though I am an adult and can handle myself and your criticism well enough.

Correct me if I am wrong but you claim that people here are taking people's work and changing it to their liking by downloading a pre-built custom ROM and stripping it down and rebuilding it to their liking correct?

I really have a lot of respect for you for what you do for the community by creating these excellent ROMs and then uploading them to the FTP to share with everyone, but I can't stand how childish and possessive you are about this. I will agree that you have made the most complete WM6.1 ROMs that I have seen and tried but not everyone has the knowledge to build it from scratch like you did.

This is pretty much a breakdown of how I see things. Microsoft designed WM6 and released it on the Touch but WM6.1 was actually leaked and never officially released but non the less DESIGNED BY MICROSOFT. You, no2chem, OMJ, and others, took it upon yourselves(I'm not sure who was first but that doesn't really matter... Unless you live in a child's world where "I WAS FIRST, IT WAS ALL ME!!" actually matters) to strip down WM6 and WM6.1 and merge the 2 creating a unique WM6.1 "Hybrid". This I will agree was NOT designed by Microsoft but by several very intelligent people here on this very forum. You made one mistake though. You are still calling it Windows Mobile 6.1. Isn't "Windows" a Microsoft product???

It seems to me that what you are accusing others of doing, you are in fact guilty of yourself. Just because you are more knowledgeable about how to make your own SYS and OEM and write your own XIP files does not give you rights to this firmware or anyone else. It is freely distributed here thus you have no right to say to someone that they are stealing someone else's work as that is exactly what you and every other chef has already done only you are not stealing custom work, you are stealing firmware from a major corporation that took months, maybe years, to develop.

Think about all of that before you try to accuse someone of being lazy and ripping off someone else's work because I know you didn't design Windows Mobile, just an off brand home made version that requires you void your warranty just to use.

I fully support what you are trying to say. It is illogical for JD or anyone else to claim you or anyone is ripping off their work as they are just as guilty. They may not be using someone's custom ROM as a base to strip down and rebuild with different apps but they are using OFFICIAL MICROSOFT OEM Firmware to build the custom ROMs they claim you and everyone else is ripping off. So what if you are using someone elses ROM as a base for your own. Once you remove what they added and added your own apps to the ROM instead is no longer their work anymore.

By the way, love the analogy, bolded in the quote.

And finally... I agree. Let's all just go have a beer or pass around the peace pipe or whatever you're into and cool off. There's no need to argue and bicker like children over something as asinine as this.

Dan.
I feel that you may need to read this thread carefully I did not say people are stealing others work they indeed they already owned up to doing that ...... and I feel that if you can take the vouge kitchen and break down a custom why is it that you can't break down a stock rom and build a custom of your own? ..... That is why I created threads like " being original can you do it" "Challenge to rom chefs" because I strongly feel that if I can do it you can to .... What I'm trying to do once again is push the community to stop being duplicaters ...... Some folks over at xda had the same issue going on so they came up with a tool that turns all packages into one so that when you try to break their roms down in a kitchen you would get a message in the sys folder that says "beta, make your own rom" I have not done this yet but I can understand why this tools has become needed ...... and calling me childish hmmmm well not gonna worry about that but again read this thread completely and remember this is a pass time for me that can easily change into something else and by the way I'm done it was nice but now its time to move on you guys are right .......

Last edited by jakdillard; 04-18-2008 at 06:41 AM.