View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
no2chem
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: No2Chem nueROM 2.0 (WM6.1) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhusa View Post
(BTW Currently running Sprint Mogul with no2chem 5060)

A little off topic perhaps, but I am interested in everyones opinion on this. I pulled out my never used (i.e. replacement PPC6700) from a while back and flashed it with the Apache WM6 CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2) ROM from the Apache forums. It comes with quite a lot of junk preinstalled.... HTC home, games, deepfish (not sure why), dict editor, ext rom unlock, esmertec java, windows live, etc etc,..... Does AD2P, EVDO (no rev a) and no GPS......

Despite all that is installed the program memory is sitting at 27 Megs and is bloody stable. No memory loss (leak ??), Memory comes right back up to 27 Megs after programs are closed. the interface is smooth, fast and responsive despite running WM6.

So what is the issue with the memory management on the Mogul ? After following these forums I was left with the impression that WM6 is the culprit. Now I am not so sure. If the ancient PPC6700 (Apache) can manage WM6 with no problems and no memory loss, then why not the Mogul. Another noticable improvement on the PPC6700 is the dialing speed. It remains fast despite installation of a big button dialer and use of the keypress sounds. I alway have to turn off sounds on the Moguls keypad to speed up the responsiveness of the keypad when dialing.

With 5060 installed and the same configuration I used on the PPC6700, I am booting into 15 Megs after a soft reset and then gradual memory issues till I end up with 5-6 megs in a day or so, requiring a soft reset to gain memory back.

No2chem are there major differences with the driver sizes for the PPC6700 and Mogul ? I noticed the "no2chem_Apache_Sprint_WM6_1_Test.rar" file that you had uploaded. I have not installed it on my 6700 yet, but am curious as to what you think the reason for the poor memory on the Mogul is ?

Any thoughts ??
I really believe its in the way the kernel was built and also that the device itself takes 12mb of memory before releasing it to WM. Sorry, 5061 doesn't *yet* have any magic in it that would fix the memory issues.
This post has been thanked 3 times.