View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 AM
gguruusa
Deep Thinker

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Apache WM6.1 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.19716 (Build 19716.1.0.0) - UPDATED 20080308

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinesis View Post
Ok first I want to say this is awesome, but there is a problem I have

When running Windows Media Player and browsing using internet explorer, web browsing is very slow. are there any registry tweaks, or options while running the kitchen - that will improve performance? is there a method or hack to make the device use memory more efficiently?

I would like this device to run smoothly, if theres no suggestions you guys have I might consider running XCPUScalar to overclock it... I would rather find out from you guys if there is a better solution than potentially risking damage to my cpu. sprint insures this bad boy anyways so im not worried, but any suggestions/feedback etc on how to get it running more smoothly and not choke are appreciated.
You're using WMP and trying to surf at the same time? Undoubtedly you are hampered either by CPU or lack of RAM or SD card access speed (depedning on configuration) or all three. Not much you can do about CPU power, other than closing other programs (don't forget those Today screen items and bluetooth) and/or running an overclocker. For RAM, close programs - use a task closing app, and run fewer Today screen items. SD card access only matters if you're using it, of course, but relocate your WMP files to ext_rom or program storage from SD and you'll lighten the CPU load as well as IO bandwith consumption.
Quote:
right now im going to play with the GDI GLYPHCACHE registry settings a bit and see if it helps. thanks

OK Question also, which is the best setting for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE - 16384, 32768, or 65536 ?

and any other tweaks you guys know about are appreciated. thanks

I had it set to 32768 (from 16384) because my mp3's were skipping but someone said that was a storage card issue so i fixed it, i just set it back to 16384 and it seems to be running decent but that might be because im not in the hot sun anymore.. i think heat slows down electronics.. just wanted to be sure
glyph cache is a graphics performance function, so if your seeing it affect your mp3 skipping, you're most likely CPU limited.

Heat doesn't affect electronic speed unless the electronics have thermal sensors. I don't think the Apache falls into that camp.