Jeff Kirvin
Regular 'Geeker

Jeff Kirvin is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: No2Chem nueROM 2.0 (WM6.1) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
explain how having only 15mb at boot is a problem?
Perhaps I can shed some light on this. While I understand that 6.1 handles memory management differently and more efficiently than previous version of Windows Mobile, 15MB isn't enough to start with for some people. While it should be enough to run average applications, some games demand almost that much just for themselves. And this is not counting how much of that 15MB might already be consumed by drivers, Today screen plugins, system extensions like Spb Mobile Shell or Pocket Plus and various caches.

It's not hard to see how a cooked ROM based on 5059 with third party system extensions might have less than 10MB available for actually running programs. With that little available, it would be impossible to run, say, IE, WMP and the camera at the same time, as you might see for mobloggers who listen to music while out and about.

While I'm sure we all appreciate the speed increases in the recent No2Chem ROMs, I'm not sure some of us wouldn't trade a little of that speed for more available memory.