View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
kilmarac
Regular 'Geeker

kilmarac is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rev.B

Ok, Flame me for being stupid if you want, but I was just looking at the EVDO specs. Did you guys know there is a EVDO Rev.B? Is this the fabled WiMAX that sprint is working on?

Quote:
The upgrade from EVDO rev A to EVDO rev B can be done with a software upgrade at the network. The software upgrade has been available commercially since early 2007.
TIA-856 Rev B

EV-DO Rev B is a multi-carrier evolution of the Rev A specification. It maintains the capabilities of EVDO Rev A, and provides the following enhancements:
  • Higher rates per carrier (up to 4.9 Mbit/s on the downlink per carrier). Typical deployments are expected to include 3 carriers for a peak rate of 14.7 Mbit/s
  • Higher rates by bundling multiple channels together enhance the user experience and enables new services such as high definition video streaming.
  • Uses statistical multiplexing across channels to further reduce latency, enhancing the experience for latency-sensitive services such as gaming, video telephony, remote console sessions and web browsing.
  • Increased talk-time and standby time
  • Hybrid frequency re-use which reduces the interference from the adjacent sectors and improves the rates that can be offered, especially to users at the edge of the cell.
  • Efficient support for services that have asymmetric download and upload requirements (i.e. different data rates required in each direction) such as file transfers, web browsing, and broadband multimedia content delivery.