View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Wes Janson
Lurker

Wes Janson is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TeleNav vs. Other Paid GPS Progrms

First off, if you're currently on the $15 unlimited Vision plan, TeleNav (if it's the only extra thing you want) is actually only $5 a month extra.

Kilmarac pretty much nailed the "catch" with TeleNav. It's a great program that automatically re-routes you around traffic congestion (at no extra subscription fee, I might add), gives you turn-by-turn indications with spoken street names, and the maps are server-side and are updated pretty frequently. But the catch is although you have the convenience of not needing a 2GB card to hold your maps, TeleNav needs initial access to a data plan in order to "log-in" and download your route. If you have no service, you can't boot it up. So it's not the ideal partner if you frequently travel across the boonies.

I've also had an asional log-in error issue, where it couldn't verify my account for some reason. It's rare, but it does happen.

But all in all, it really does depend on your traveling habits. I spend most of my time traveling in areas with service, so TeleNav is a no-brainer for me. I don't drive boats, and I don't chase tornadoes in the middle of nowhere. So I don't need on-phone maps.

I also remember reading some of you gluing your faces to your phones on plane rides so you can see where you are using TomTom... Though some planes having the option to show you a GPS map on the back of the seat in front of you notwithstanding... I'd rather spend my time (and storage) watching full-length movies and listening to music on my Mogul rather than staring at a little moving dot. But yeah, that's just me. Lol!