View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM
MrGoodtunes
Halfway to VIP Status

MrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Vogue users left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShoe View Post
...use it as a dedicated MP3 player...
I still luv Vogue. Got a half dozen of em, an MP3 player for the multimedia speaker system in my car, another one set up with an FM transmitter for rental cars that have no stereo input jack, and then there's the one I use most. It broadcasts FM to the living room stereo, a car radio set up on the deck, and an old boombox in the garage. Here's a pic of my travel set up for motels and out of town stays:

After much trial and error, I have found the stock ROM is okay for up to about 8 gigs of MP3s, provided not too many are in a single folder, maybe a multi-disc CDs worth, max. And keep RAM usage at a minimum, i.e. only a few contacts, and X the damn cube! But for my home set up, I have a regular rotation of several thousand songs in a single folder containing over 20 gigabytes, and still growing toward probably 30 GB when I fill up gaps in my collection of 'forever' songs. The stock ROM is quite inadequate for this. I've tried early Android ports on SD card and on up to dumping WinMo for Linux with Warm Donut, Eclair, and Froyo. All are worse than stock WM for MP3. I've tried WinMo 6.5 and 6.5.x but again, for MP3 they are all worse than stock 6.1 ROM. So, I went back to Wm6 and actually found some improvements, but overall 6.1 is slightly better. After trying several 6.1 ports, I finally settled on build 21057, the very last 6.1 available. And I've found a few crucial settings that work best for large MP3 collection playback:

[1] Format 32 GB card with Cluster Size 16 KB

[2] Set PagePoolSize at 32 MB (can go up to 36)

[3] Use CompressionType LZX (for ROM files)

Last edited by MrGoodtunes; 12-19-2012 at 09:59 PM.