View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
arrrghhh
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [[Speed Improvements]] Brainstorming & Testing Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoze View Post
Arrrghhh,

I really like this thread... I am very tired so I may have missed it in this thread but there are a few things I didn't see that should help speed Android up... These basically center around starting with a better base... These are not Android tweaks per se but because they speed up android by giving it a better foundation I thought you may want to include them in your speed tread...

The first thing I want to try is losing less to begin with to Windows Mobile... From our thread on SprintUsers the recommendation is to start with a stripped down WM6.1 ROM. The current recommended ROM is Calkin's Stripped down ROM for Android:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2640948#post2640948

Anyone disagree with this train of thought and/or have a better ROM recommendation?

The other recommendation I didn't see, also along the lines of starting with a better base, is getting a faster SD card and it may be the newer larger read optimized cards are maybe NOT better:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp2/147357-sd-cards-performance.html

Lastly, I am not a Windows Mobile guy and am confused on changing ROMs and HSPLs and such.

If anyone can throw me a bone and point me toward easy instructions to changing the ROM on my Sprint TP2 I would really appreciate it.
Well unfortunately none of these would speed up Android.

1) Many have done tests with all sorts of different WinMo ROM's... and the conclusion is WinMo speed has absolutely, positively nothing to do with how fast Android runs. Gen.Y or a slim ROM will help you get to Android faster, but it won't make Android faster - hope that makes sense. Again, WinMo ROM does not effect the speed of Android.

I love how you suggest changing ROM's, but don't know how too. lol.

2) SD card speed also doesn't do anything for Android's speed. With that said, if you have a bad card with a ton of bad blocks etc then I'm sure the performance on the card would be slower. But unfortunately our phones can't really take advantage of Class 10 or even Class 6 cards speed - that's really for high-end cameras that need that much memory bandwidth to record 1080p. Again, people have done many extensive tests and the cards with the best random read/write performance (which SD cards are horrible at) were Sandisk cards. You really have to test each card's throughput on your phone to get an idea of how it'll effect Android.

As far as WinMo, you really shouldn't ask questions about it in the Android section. But it's really quite easy - flash HSPL (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/cdma-tp2-d...w-hardspl.html) then flash a ROM.