View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 AM
arrrghhh
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete FroYo Bundle** FRX07.1 - Maintenance Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovius View Post
I plug my phone into the usb and then I go to the tether option and enable it in the menu system of android.

Before I turn on the tether I make sure that the phone is showing that is connected to the computer. It shows up as a storage device on the computer before I turn on the tether.

With all 3 computer tries nothing happens after I enable tether I don't see anything on the computer so something's messed up.
lol.

So I just tried this. On my Win7 Home Premium laptop... First, I plug in the phone. I makes the noise that a new device was plugged in, and the ADB drivers are already installed so no new hardware installs in the system tray.

Then, I go thru the menus and enable USB tethering. Another few noises from the PC to indicate a device was removed and a new one added. This prompted a new driver install for Remote RNDIS device or some such thing.

Then it all went away - I was confused, as I didn't see any new icons in the system tray. So I disabled wifi. I'm still connected! Not sure what's up (I think this is something unique to my machine) because I can't open Network & Sharing Center from Control Panel. It's just 'hung'. But I'm certainly online, wifi is certainly disabled, and I checked with one of those 'what's my IP' websites, and it told me - I confirmed this was NOT the IP of my router/cable internet.

So it worked flawlessly for me, out of the box. I'm a little peeved that Network & Sharing Center wouldn't open, I wanted to investigate the connection. Should just list itself as another local connection, just like an ethernet cable was connected.

I don't know know what you're doing wrong, but it worked flawlessly for me out of the box. Well, it worked in the sense that it got me online without doing anything other than plugging it in and enabling it. Note, I did have an internet connection when it initially installed the drivers for the RNDIS interface. That might be key...

Edit - holy hell. That took ages, but the Network & Sharing Center eventually pulled its head out of its own bum. Now it's working, and the connection is indeed a "Local Area Connection" listed as "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing".

Perhaps you have some limited version of Windows...? I know Microsoft likes to do that, but I'm not aware of any particular limits on tethering or otherwise sharing internet connections...

Last edited by arrrghhh; 10-28-2011 at 11:10 AM.