View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 PM
vancomycin
PPCGeeks Regular

vancomycin is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: how can i use sprint htc touch pro 2 as a modem for my laptop??

Thanks for the replies.... still confused on about the wifi chip. I had a few older laptops that didn't have wifi but figured i could somehow get the tp2 to connect to a wifi hotspot and then via a connected usb cable and some application allow the laptop to be connected via that.... I wasn't expecting fast speeds...just some form of connectivity that would wrk on an unlocked tp2 that no longer has cellular service.

Are most of the tethering options then based on solely using a phone that already has some data serclvice? When the tp2 I have had sprint service, I was able to use it as a hotspot using the wifirouter program...

That application was called "wmwifitether" latest version as noted from our member kn the previous post I wrote abojt retiromg the tp2. I haven't looked for this just yet...

@boredandtattooed : I wanted to use the TP2 as my main wifi dongle to a few tablet pc's/laptops that have either windows xp or windows 7 full OS. They all have built-in wifi or PCMCIA adapters, but I didn't want their batteries to be drained that way. Since I have a few extended batteries for the TP2 - I wanted to use that as my "wifi adapter" and have it connect to whatever wifi network is available. ///

My sprint voice and data are now ported over to my motorola photon but I haven't bothered to do any rooting/tethering on that new phone because of some kinks over at XDA with some loss of function (i.e. 4g) - so I will wait a few more weeks on that. Still it would be nice to have an "isolated" wifi adapter (hence the Tp2) to free up some battery power that would have been sacrificed using the other devices or even my on my photon.

Last edited by vancomycin; 08-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.