View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 PM
kevmo1965
Halfway to VIP Status

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Re: Houston, we now have temp root!

here are the specifics from minneyar@xda

Good news, everybody! I have successfully acquired temp root on my Shift!

First, fre3vo has to be pointed at the right address. After copying it over to my phone, I did "adb shell" and then ran it like so:

/data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start fbb58a00 -end FFFFFFFF

That printed out a message that it found an exploit and kicked me out of the shell. After doing "adb shell" again, I got a command prompt. I tried installing the 2.3.6.3 version of Superuser, but it complained about being unable to install "su"; I tried to find a separate su binary and copy it over manually, but it didn't work due to a linker error.

After searching around, I found a beta version of Superuser 3:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post14927732

First I uninstalled the old version of Superuser and then used adb to install the new one from that thread. I ran it and it said it was unable to install su, so I downloaded the version of su provided there and installed it manually. The process went something like:

Code:
adb push su-3.0-alpha7 /data/local/tmp
adb shell
# cd /data/local/tmp
# chmod 4755 su-3.0-alpha7
# ./su-3.0-alpha7
# mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p26 /system
# cat su-3.0-alpha7 > /system/bin/su
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
I don't know if explicitly running "./su-3.0-alpha7" is necessary, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't know if everybody's block device will be named "mmcblk0p26", I used "mount" to figure out what was mounted at /system.

Anyway, after all that was done, I ran Superuser again and it didn't complain. To test it out, I started up Wireless Tether. It asked me for superuser permissions, which I granted it, and it's working fine.

Root successful!