Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
taxilian
Lurker

taxilian is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: No2Chem nueROM 2.0 (WM6.1) Thread

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting reviews, so let me add in my $.02

Hi. I'm taxilian, and I'm a flashaholic. (what else do you say when I've totally and completely reinstalled my phone 4 times in the last 36 hours?)

Review of build 5053

I have installed:
latest radio (3.35, installed sprint ROM)
no2chem's 5053 (noticed on the FTP site, downloaded and installed)

Speed: Faster than anything I've yet seen on my mogul. A+

Reliability of programs: A couple of programs didn't work for me under 5051 (of note, eReader (http://www.ereader.com) and Windows Live, but they are now all working under 5053. Everything I've installed seems to work as it should. Unlike older builds (a week or two ago), I have not yet seen PIE crash on this ROM, which means I can watch youtube videos again w/out having to reopen IE every time I want to go back to the page.

Internet: updated radio to the latest 60711 PRL, everything seems good. Sometimes w/ this PRL it sits in roaming for about 30 seconds ofter a soft reset, but then locks into EVDO mode. Before the PRL update I never saw the roaming triangle thingy, but EVDO data transfers worked great. PIE is quick and snappy, much faster than it has been, and email (using Seven, Windows Live, and built-in p. outlook) works great. no complaints.

Internet Connection Sharing: Works as well as it ever has, both USB and bluetooth

Bluetooth: File transfers working fine, haven't tried paring w/ a headset (I'll get to it)

Fonts: no2chem, I can't tell you how much I like your nueFonts program... it allows me to set my font sizes down where I like them (I'm one of those weirdos who likes tiny fonts)

GPS: GPSToday, Google maps, and Windows Live Search all seem to work great. sat aquisition is tons faster than pre-agps.

Memory: I run a lot of things (a *lot* of things) at the same time, and it does get bogged down sometimes, but overall this ROM is still much faster than previous ones I've used and maintains memory better.

Bugs: The only bug I've come across so far is the inability to assign a program to the Voice Command button single press (press and hold works). This is somewhat frustrating, to be honest, but I'm willing to deal with it 'til no2chem finds a fix.

Dialer: The skin is turned off by default, which makes this a little less attractive than other builds, however I really like the calling history being right on the dialer page. I'm one that prefers functionality to looks, so I really like the way the dialer works on this one.

Responsiveness: It could be my imagination, but it seems like the buttons are slightly more responsivie on this build than they were on 5052 (I too had the problem where the send button didn't always answer the call).

Anyway, that's my take, my experience. I highly recommend 5053 for anyone who wants a good, fast phone.=D>