View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
CtDMonet
PPCGeeks Regular

CtDMonet is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HOW to approach reps at the stores

When I go to a rivalry game (say, football) at the visiting stadium, dressed in my teams' regalia, I get treated different ways. When I am happy and jovial (with my kids, enjoying the game), I get casual ribbing, and friendly rival fans. When I'm a jack-hole (I can be), I tend to find jack-holes - profanity laced tirades, and drunken morons. It's my behavior that drives their behavior.

What I'm saying is that respect begets respect. If you respect the customer for their problems, you will probably find more respectful customers. Along the same lines, if you treat your customer service rep with respect, you'll likely see the same back at you.

My wife had some Samsung phone, can't remember which. It could never switch to call waiting properly. While it wasn't an issue most of the time, as you can imagine -- the first very important call that was missed because of the issue was very frustrating-so we took it in to see if it was a problem with the phone. The tech barely looked at the phone for a minute, and then told my wife directly, "I'm pretty sure it's a PEBKAC issue, there is nothing we can do..." As my wife works as an office manager for a software development company - she is well aware of what a PEBKAC issue is ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair"). She grabbed her phone and left. Telling my wife that she just didn't know how to use call waiting (which may be the case - it doesn't really matter), was very close to causing us to leave Sprint altogether. It was the online service rep (she called Sprint immediately to report the issue), and his customer service that saved it. Instead of calling out my wife's ineptitude, he offered us an additional $50 off an upgrade. He made a $100 Razr sale, while the previous rep nearly cost 10 years, 2 lines, and a husband that upgrades his phone every year just because he wanted my wife to know that she didn't know how to use call waiting.

There is a fine line with showing someone how to do something properly as that means they were doing something wrong, or don't know something.