View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 PM
luv2chill
Retired Staff

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
I haven't gotten much into the UPX thing yet (it's on my list!) but I believe one of the side effects of UPX compression is quicker load times (because the speed bottleneck is in reading the file from flash rom). So since a UPX'ed file is smaller in size, it can be copied from the flash rom to memory faster and will therefore speed up its load time.

So even if it doesn't directly give you more storage memory it may still be worth trying to UPX some stuff if it means that stuff loads faster. Also, as you've said it allows you to pre-install more stuff in the ROM so that you don't have to use your storage memory for it.

Only problem is that it seems that UPX'ing the wrong files can cause all kinds of gremlins, so there's a ton of trial and error involved. A wiki page with summaries of which files can be successfully UPX'ed and which ones can't would be a good way to go (maybe one already exists somewhere?).