Thread: Evo 4g/Evo 3D
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
gTen
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Evo 4g/Evo 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
Again, there are several motorola devices that right now can't have a custom ROM. Devices that are already past their end of life, so nobody even cares about them anymore. Meaning they went their entire regular life cycle without anyone figuring out how to put a custom ROM on there. That has never happened with HTC. Most HTC phones are rooted before they are even released.
Because those devices were not popular...popularity plays a huge roll in the speed the community releases stuff..the devices in question could be rooted if there was a demand for it..aka if next Droid X had it, it would be rooted.

Quote:
I don't know about the Hero and what they used to root it (was on a Touch Pro 2 back then) but I know the Evo, Thunderbolt, and G2 are all rooted the same way. And the recovery being locked on the G2 is no different than the recovery on the Evo or Thunderbolt being locked. All were rooted using the same technique, and nobody had to wait for it on any of those devices.
There was a wait on custom roms for the g2..it too a month for them to get perma root and break the emmc.

Quote:
Motorola does. I don't know who else does or doesn't, but I know HTC is certainly not the only ones. HTC does give the key to unlock it though (they "leak" it at least in the form of a "test" recovery image).
To my knowledge HTC and Motorola are only ones..LG, Samsung, Asus, viewsonic are all unsigned...heck Sony even does unsigned bootloaders and is now offering a website that tells people how to unlock their bootloaders...

Quote:
Yes, I know that the Gingerbread leak for the Galaxy S was on February 28. I also know there is a ROM on this very site for the Evo running the newest Sense. And that ROM was last updated on February 23. So they not only had the files before then, but they the files long enough before then to have a ROM compiled for the Evo that was good enough to not even be updated since February 23. I also know the Desire's Gingerbread ROM leaked out a week later, March 7.
I am looking around and I can't find the feb 23rd.only feb 23 rom I found with new sense is still 2.2....as for march 7th..by then there was already 3 leaked gingerbread roms for i9000...

Quote:
I'm not disputing any of that. What I am disputing is your claim that HTC is no longer friendly to the hacking community. They most definitely are. It's hillarious that you would even make such a claim when every HTC phone is hacked, mostly before they are even released.
IF you call locking you up in jail then giving you a key friendly be my guest :/...if other manufacturers are getting away with it unsigned, why not HTC?

Quote:
Wrong again, lol. Yes, there are older gen devices that were never able to have custom ROMs, but there are newer devices that still can't have them (Motorola Bravo).
As I said its a supply and demand thing..there is not a big enough demand/community to support those devices at the technical level it requires...

Quote:
Wrong again, lol. TRhe Thunderbolt was rooted before it was even released. See this, dated 3-18-2011, with instructions on how to do it (the device started shipping 3-17-11):
[Exclusive] How To Root The HTC Thunderbolt – Instructions By Team AndIRC (V1.02 2011/03/1 | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police
Release date info:
HTC Thunderbolt Release Date Here - Verizon... | Gather
um..not your just not reading what you wrote..you wrote that it was rooted before it was released and that it was reeased on 17th and rooted 18th..how is that before? also the release date was bumped up to 16th due to the ipad2 thing...aka many people got it on 16th...

Quote:
Lets revisit how this all got started... Someone said they would not preorder the device because they thought it might not get rooted. I said that was not anything that I'm worried about. You then said we should be worried about it. It appears that you now concede the device will be rooted, either before it is released or in very short order after it is released.
I never said it wont be rooted..I just said there is no guarantee that it will be rooted so fast due to HTC's trend of increasing the security...and as stated it took 1 month for G2 to get perma root...originally the user wanted to wait a bit after rooting which I agreed with as there is no guarantee on how long it would take for "perma root"

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.