View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Monfro
PPCGeeks Regular

Monfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on repMonfro is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New Dialer with contact pictures shown

Quote:
Originally Posted by powinmo View Post
So I have not flashed any new ROMs in a while, and finally got around to flashing March.21 to two Sprint TP2 units this evening... and I had to dig through the thread to see that NRGZ cooked in Monfro's dialer updates for the past few releases.

This is causing some peculiar issues for me. Apparently, I have not seen anyone else mention these... so I must be in the minority.

1. I am not sure which phone canvas Monfro grabbed the dialer files from, but they are not Sprint/Verizon/CDMA based ones. As such it breaks every single dialer cab updater I have in XDA_UC/S4X. Mainly the VIN Sprint dialer theme colored ones, and a few others released in the TP2 theme forum here on PPC (eg, the NFL ones).

I am NOT a big fan of the stock colored dialer. So I rely on those cabs to give my users and I some theme/color variation, and have been using them for 3-6+ months now with no issues.

2. I use the dialer in landscape mode (keyboard is slid out) every so often. Coming out of dialing or looking at the call history, the canvas ALWAYS switches back to portrait mode regardless of the fact I am in a forced landscape mode. G-sensor status should make no difference at this point.

3. rapid entry of a phone number will typically cause the keypad to disappear. This is usually repeatable for me on BOTH units I just flashed. I think I saw teradog mention a similar scenario recently.

I also have two Energy Feb.27 TP2s I have not upgraded yet, one with the stock "CDMA" dialer and one with VIN dialer theme cab, and have none of the issues above.

While I think it's nice to finally have contact pictures working, I do not believe it is in the best interest to move away from the "stock" dialers that are cooked in these RhodCDMA ROMs. If NRGZ previously cooked in some other canvas, at least it was compatible with many of the 3rd party dialer theme cabs. If someone needs the picture contacts, they can install it post flash or until we figure out more compatibility.

For now, I HAVE to stick with Feb.27 or which ever the last set was that does not have the modified dialer cooked in unless someone has suggestions. I'm not sure if I am willing to invest the time to reverse engineer an older ROM just to pull out the files I need to get a "stock" like dialer back.
I am sad that dialer gives some problems: for me it is working very well, and faster than the old one.

1. The dialer is from Leo: it is 2G with conference call function. Old themes are not compatible because this version is newer, with a lot of changing in internal files. Sorry at the moment i have not my pc to control build number of Leo and original Rhodiu dialers. Search on XDA for dialer skins in the Leo section: they will work.

2. I only verified that in landscape mode everything is sized and positioned correct. I don't use dialer in landscape mode, so i don't know if when a call/other activities are finished, the dialer reverts to portrait mode. Maybe a reg edit can fix this.

3. Maybe i type slow, but the dialer never disappeared when i was typing on it.

Only a few files are needed to revert back to the old dialer (4/5/6 dll and maybe nothing more, i have to look, but until monday i can't).
This post has been thanked 1 times.