View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 PM
ndno
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TESTING] Updated 3/11/11 New Kernel - TONS of changes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkip911 View Post
well, if flash can only be written onto a specific number of times----what happens to internal memory on the phone---every time I get a call, it is logged (stored) onto internal memory. at the end of the day, i erase it, only to get more calls that are logged (stored) at the same location on the memory....to follow the theory to its conclusion, I( should only get X number of days that the phone can work correctly -- ie log sms, mms, email, phone calls. after that, the internal memory would have met it's max number of write's and no longer store/log calls, sms, emails etc....
Memory (RAM) doesn't work the same; it's volatile memory and never needs to retain the data, unlike SD card. Different hardware.

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
SRAM and DRAM are volatile. Other forms of computer storage, such as disks and magnetic tapes, have been used as persistent storage. Many newer products instead rely on flash memory to maintain data when not in use, such as PDAs or small music players. Certain personal computers, such as many rugged computers and netbooks, have also replaced magnetic disks with flash drives. With flash memory, only the NOR type is capable of true random access, allowing direct code execution, and is therefore often used instead of ROM; the lower cost NAND type is commonly used for bulk storage in memory cards and solid-state drives. A memory chip is an integrated circuit (IC) made of millions of transistors and capacitors. In the most common form of computer memory, dynamic random access memory (DRAM), a transistor and a capacitor are paired to create a memory cell, which represents a single bit of data. The capacitor holds the bit of information — a 0 or a 1 . The transistor acts as a switch that lets the control circuitry on the memory chip read the capacitor or change its state.
LOL, I think you're a little obsessed with getting more "virtual" RAM out of your SD card . I wouldn't risk my SD card to be obliterated by using a swapfile; that's just a fact. This topic has probably been debated many times.