View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 PM
ndno
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkip911 View Post
fish----ahhhh, gotcha. NDNO is the man, he got me up an running on it.

Now here's a question, spinning hard drives can become "etched" also, when data is stored, the spinning disk sometimes needs to be defraged-----however, i was under the impression that flash has no such drawbacks because there is nothing physically moving. so how could pushing and pulling data from one section wear it out??
The individual blocks on the SD card have a limited life cycle, like 1000000 writes or something like that. Once those writes are exhausted, they can longer be erased and written to. So if you created a swapfile and that swapfile occupies the same physical area on the card all the times, that area will wear out quickly if linux is constantly swapping inactive RAM data from/to that area. I know we use the SD card to save data / apps / etc, but writing is limited on that (unless you're constantly installing software every second of the day); also, the NAND, card driver under WinMo and Linux is smart because they're designed to do wearleveling; that is, spread out the writes evenly all over the area of the Nand/card so that no one area gets exhausted quickly. On a SD card or NAND, I believe each block contains a header section that tells the OS how many writes have been written to it, so this is how it knows what blocks have been written to more or less; I'm not sure but I believe that's how it works. I believe "reading" is unlimited but if you can no longer write to a worn out SD card, it's useless. So that's why using swapping is not recommended. The advanced features of swapper 2 is nice; you can tell it to delete the swapfile and create a new one each time android boots; when creating the new swapfile, it does at a different area of the Sd card so the previous area is not exhausted out. I believe hard drives have a much longer write life cycle. Any expert, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Edit: oops, everyone beats me to the explanation And mine is inaccurate about the write cycles, I guess it's in the thousands, not millions, which means you can easily wear out that card using swapping.

Sent from my FRX05-ized TP2

Last edited by ndno; 03-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.