View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM
ndno
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Stable it is not - the other wifi tethering options might be more stable, I found I prefer USB tethering to wifi tethering, but that's what I use for tethering because I can charge and tether at the same time .

Huh, this is interesting. This might be my memory messing things up, but I remember seeing the phone turn off and thinking "huh, the AP is still up". Perhaps I was plugged into USB and I was fooling myself .

I'm not sure what the best option for this would be, as normally you would want wifi to turn off if the phone goes to sleep. How do native devices handle this? Does the screen stay on and the phone is prevented from sleeping, or is it a partial sleep where ARM11 is still awake, but just the screen is off...?

This is what I thought happened, screen would turn off but ARM11 would stay up. Perhaps I was connected to USB, and I'm just crazy . It's entirely possible.
Yeah, if I have to tether I prefer Usb; wifi is more convenient but it's a battery killer (at least with usb, you're keeping the phone charge ) I think when I'm charging (either power adapter or usb via pc), I don't think the phone completely goes to sleep. You or wistilt2 may have a better idea. I'll have to try wifi tethering while charging to see if it still works when the screen goes blank.

Under winmo, using vin's neo rom, wifi tethering still works when the phone goes to "sleep".

Sent from my FRX05-ized TP2

EDIT: OK, I've confirmed that when hooked up to charger and the screen goes blank (green light blinking), wifi tethering still works. After I pulled the charging cable, the green LED blinks for a little more and then goes solid; at this point, wifi tethering stops working. I then plugged the charging cable back in (screen still blank/off) and viola, wifi tethering works again. So arrrghhh, since you have your TP2 hooked up to the USB cable (charging), wifi tethering will work when it goes to sleep (IMO, it's a different sleep than when it's not being charged, one that allows the wifi hardware to continue working).

EDIT: Also confirmed that when disabling wifi tethering, my TP2 rebooted back to WinMo; the first time it was a lockup.

Last edited by ndno; 03-14-2011 at 07:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.