View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
arrrghhh
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Wireless Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Really? That works well for you? I see a lot of hard freezes and reboots when turning off the built-in wifi tethering, both when I used FRX04 and now in GRX0A. It does work quite well until I turn it off though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
Same here, freezes android when I turned it off. Had to pull the battery. I guess it's not quite stable yet.
The reason the built-in one is my personal fave is it actually creates a real AP - not some ad-hoc network cxn.

With that said, I haven't used it in a couple of weeks - IIRC, it just wouldn't work if I disabled and tried to re-enable - I don't remember any freezes or resets. I guess I should try it again...

Stable it is not - the other wifi tethering options might be more stable, I found I prefer USB tethering to wifi tethering, but that's what I use for tethering because I can charge and tether at the same time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
OK, one observation with the builtin Wifi Tethering (FRX05): if the phone goes to sleep (I set mine to sleep at 2 minutes of no activity), the tethering stops working; I need to wake up the phone to get the connection going again. I guess that may be ironed out later with more power saving tweaks.
Huh, this is interesting. This might be my memory messing things up, but I remember seeing the phone turn off and thinking "huh, the AP is still up". Perhaps I was plugged into USB and I was fooling myself .

I'm not sure what the best option for this would be, as normally you would want wifi to turn off if the phone goes to sleep. How do native devices handle this? Does the screen stay on and the phone is prevented from sleeping, or is it a partial sleep where ARM11 is still awake, but just the screen is off...?

This is what I thought happened, screen would turn off but ARM11 would stay up. Perhaps I was connected to USB, and I'm just crazy . It's entirely possible.