View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 AM
ndno
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 2/10 patched rootfs: More working keyboard keys and classic home for Rhod210/400/

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Happy to help. I assume you meant to include a "you" in that question?

The answer to that is nope, unfortunately. I'd love to take the time to delve deeper into Android in the future, but I'm pretty busy too, and at the moment, I just don't know enough to add anything useful by making my own build.

I mainly try and help every now and then by finding issues present in the main XDAndroid build and kicking back solutions if I can find them.
Yep, I left out the "you" there. Thanks a lot again for the guide. I'm trying to figure out what I need when I use the terminal under Android. For example, I need the ESC key (in case I use vi); I want to use the up and down arrows to scroll through the previous commands. I guess the available ones, based on your kcm mapping, are the caps_fn combo value, which no one really uses. So I'll assign the ESC key to FN+Caps+E. Gotta play around with these a little more. Too bad I can't mount the *.bin file (compiled from the cross-compiler tool you attached in your post) in the last section of froyo.user.conf because it's an executable and I don't think the executable (+w) attribute is preserved when you mount it from a non-Linux partiton; it will make it easy for me to try out stuff via mounting without have to repackage the whole rootfs image.

Here's the ASCII table I'm using to figure out the hex value for the keys I want: http://www.unix-manuals.com/refs/misc/ascii-table.html

UPDATE: Ha, I figured out to use the up and down arrows to view previous commands. The terminal program defaults to /bin/sh as the shell. Up and down arrows display previous commands only in the bash shell, but it's not available; however /bin/ash is; so I just have to enter "ash" at the prompt and I'm in ash and hence am not able to user the up/down cursors to view the previous shell commands.

Time to hack away:

I would like to try to rebuild the kernel myself and play around with it. What I want to try is apply the RT-PREEMPT patch (https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RT_PREEMPT_HOWTO) to the kernel and see if it improves the userland application performance. I've worked a little with the usbnet driver so I want to see if I can get that to work so we can tether via USB.

Last edited by ndno; 02-18-2011 at 06:26 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.