View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
natemcnutty
VIP Member

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Unofficial known issues list - 1/13 Headset thru USB adapter now working

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Perhaps this is heresy in the making...

But why can't we break out each device? I guess that would leave some devices in the doldrums, but for the sake of progress... I dunno. Just my .02, I don't want progress to be slowed by anything, as I can see my RHOD quickly aging already!

Plus to me that would make for better support, on a per-device basis. Have a tree for each device, an autobuild for each device, and then improvements and testing only go towards that device. A lot less to worry about breaking as well in respect to committing code (I would think).
The big problem is keeping everything consistent and easy to maintain the code. Breaking it into separate configs and autobuilds per device creates an administration nightmare.

I like the direction they are planning with .35 to refactor everything and truly keep device specific code in the baordfiles and try to keep it out of the main files. The closer to AOSP they can keep it, the easier their work becomes since Google's devs suddenly become the code maintainers.
This post has been thanked 3 times.