View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
gTen
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Epic 4G vs. Evo Shift 4G. Which is the phone to get? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmatson View Post
I liked this thread for the first 3 posts. People need to simmer down! That being said, I currently have a hero and want to upgrade. 1 issue I have with my hero is I can only play some videos. Should I expect the same from these phones? Is 1 better than the other or is it a matter of downloading something? I'm not interested in changing the phones programming. Thanks in advance for any factual help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
im not sure about the evoshift, but the epic has supported every type of video ive thrown at tit so far which include avi, wav, mp4, mkv, h264, divx and others. the only problem ive had is it wont play anything better than stereo audio. if your video has 2 channel audio(stereo), it plays fine. if it is 6 channel (5.1) your ****ed.
i like that it even plays lossless audio files like .flac directly out of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
The evo plays all those video formats or at least that's what the specs say. But I know that the epic definitely plays all those. My friends epic has played every file we put on it so far. I myself would prefer the epic over shift on specs alone. I guess we'll see when it becomes available.

The Epic comes with a NEON ARM chip that is capable of "hardware decode" for A LOT of formats..including Divx, Xvid and containers such as MKV and etc..

The EVO and my guess the shift can only play them if you use something like Rockplayer which does "software decode"..

The difference is when doing Hardware decode your CPU does minimum work thus improving battery life and better smoother playback..you can easily run H264 at High profile @ 5.1 on the Epic for example natively.

Software decode puts a lot of pressure on the CPU because it actually has to spend time decoding the data then rendering it and etc...it is much slower and inefficient..

As for the 2 channel audio, if you have headsets that support 5.1 then it will play 5.1 audio with video fine...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 2 times.