View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
tiger2wander
PPCGeeks Regular

tiger2wander is keeping up the good worktiger2wander is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12.19 3d package with better performance for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwebmonkey View Post
As a developer I have never heard of I/O time being shorter/longer based on whether a file is in a subfolder or not... it takes just as long to access the file regardless of where it is in your folder structure.
IO performance is depends on file system type and also depth of the access path, if you can make benchmark by create a structured of directories with much depth level and try to access files/folders inside it you can see the significant performance affected by depth level. And another reason is: android is running completely on SDCard, so all the IO is affected by SDCard performance. By the way even with one level depth of directory can take a lots timeout for much of IO units, if you are *nix family you can use command: "iostat" to see how much block of read/write performed in runtime. As my experience, it usually reach thousands of IO units when system load is in high.

Another case is, depends on status of your SDCard, I have re-format my SDCard after some crash (randomly reboot) of android. I have checked it status by fsck on linux or checkdsk on windows, and it always report that my SDCard has some directories corrupted, most directory is "andboot" and file data.img was corrupted also. Because of SDCard is in FAT32 and data.img, system.ext2 are mounted as RW and in same FS: EXT2, all of them not have any journaled features, so data will be corrupt each time OS crashed, Kernel panic .... these reasons can make it slower than first time you format your SDCard and do a fresh install of xdandroid.

Finally, IMO with newly re-formated SDCard IO performance will not seen too much difference between to version of directory structure, anyways, we need to take more test to see whats things has make it diff!

Just for sharing my very little knowledge

Best regard!
Uoc Nguyen