Tin Soldier
Lurker

Tin Soldier is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v4.0 | FroYo 3.30.651.3 | *Updated 11/17/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by That0neUser View Post
Ok... Why would you want 4G and WiFi running at the same time? It seems rather redundant, and HTC/Sprint probably feel the same way which is why they won't run at the same time.

If you're running 4G and turn on WiFi, 4G will sit in standby until you turn off WiFi...then 4G will kick back on. If you're running WiFi and turn on 4G, 4G will start but sit in standby until you turn off WiFi...then 4G will kick back on.

As far as tethering...
...do not tether while on WiFi...won't work.
...4G will not work using Sprint Hotspot...you're limited to 3G.
...4G and 3G will work if you use Wireless Tether.

If you're having issues with 4G not working on Wireless Tether, try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Oh, and just to cover my own bases...I should make sure that we're both on the same page as far as terminology.

WiFi... "Wi-Fi" is used to connect to a home/public wireless router to access the internet....as you would if you were on a laptop.
Tether... Using your Evo as a router for a laptop to connect to the internet.
Wireless Tether... The app "Wireless Tether" used to tether wirelessly.
Sprint Hotspot... The default wireless tethering app from Sprint. The version in this ROM is the mod'd version that allows you to tether without paying Sprint's $30 a month for tethering. Like I said though, this mod doesn't allow for 4G tethering...at the moment.

Awesome. You are the first person to give clear answers on all those items. I did not realize that the modded tether app only did 3G. Also didn't realize that 4G would standby when wifi came on. I thought there was an issue in the phone. LOL!

Now that that's all cleared up. I will uninstall and reinstall the wifi tether app and try it again. It used to work fine two updates ago, so maybe it just got jumbled somehow.

As far as the terminology, yep knew all that, except the hotspot being 3G only.

phfew glad that's cleared up. Thanks

Traveling Tek
Current Location | Traveling Tek