View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
pts69666
PPCGeeks Regular

pts69666 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How To Compile Your Own Kernels, Modules, Tinboot (NAND boot), and More for Begin

Because I'm a complete and total noob, I'm going to ask what certian things are just because I like seeping through code and learning a little. I've been outta school forever and never really did anythign with OS development, so this is all way over my head, but I'm going to try to understand it all. =P

First question in a series of quests would have to be what is an XIP. I read something about it being execute in place for a kernel. So it doesn't even have to load it into RAM or decompress. Is this the same thing? I know tinboot is a bootloader and what I read about XIP was for linux kernel.

Another question would have to be why is it that we are importing a blank image into the OS.nb file? Couldn't we put the rootfs.img into there instead? That way, it would be on the NAND and not the SD card. IDK, I'm kinda noob at this. I'm sure there's a reason, im just asking for all the different meathods to the madness. =P Just trying to learn. xD

Also, if it turns out that we are able to put the rootfs.img into the OS.nb, could we also put the modules in there? Again, I've never built ROM's for phones before, so I don't understand how this all works. =P I'm just looking for a way to possibally make SD card hot swappable.

Last edited by pts69666; 10-28-2010 at 09:05 AM.