Re: Samsung Omnia II SCH-i920 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokky View Post
So, uh... how is this as a phone? Radical question, I know ;-}
Excellent phone and multi media
Things such as:
  • Clarity of earphone sound
  • How it sounds to those you talk to
  • Bluetooth headset pairing (in particular, I am deaf in one ear, so I cannot use any setup that requires a stereo headset, and would like both phone use and music listening to work on a mono headset)
  • How visible is the phone screen in sunlight - is AMOLED good for that?
  • Can it be set to only vibrate for calls/messages in "meeting mode"?
  • Speed dial setup from contacts ?
Also, can ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), and or wModem be used on it, preferably with a USB for charging/security/simplicity, but BT is ok, also. My aging XV6800 does those quite well, and that is about my deal-breaker (which is what happened with couple Androids I tried - not even PDAnet for Android would work with my work notebook running WinXP, but ICS "just works").

Has anyone tried this with a Celio Redfly? Their compatibility list has the Omnia I (or at least no number after the name), but not the II.

TIA
Coming from the XV6800 as I did, you will like this phone. It still is the best Windows Mobile to date.
ICS can be used. I also use WMWifiRouter as it turns the phone into a mini router allowing several computers to connect to the net with the laptops wifi.

Clarity of earphone sound - Excellent
  • How it sounds to those you talk to - Very Clear
  • Bluetooth headset pairing (in particular, I am deaf in one ear, so I cannot use any setup that requires a stereo headset, and would like both phone use and music listening to work on a mono headset) Yes No Problem
  • How visible is the phone screen in sunlight - is AMOLED good for that? Bright sunlight will make it less visible unless you turn up the brightness
  • Can it be set to only vibrate for calls/messages in "meeting mode"? Yes
  • Speed dial setup from contacts ? Yes
Haven't tried Celio Redfly, but if it worked on the Orginal Omnia it should work on the O2. I would email them first.

Putting a custom Rom on it will make it even better.

Bottom line is, if you are going to stick with Windows Mobile then I recommend this phone for your next one.
Rom 3.2.3 Titan Reloaded 1.3.2