View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM
iknowsquat
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | for n00b's with vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar Hunk View Post
So I rooted my phone a different way (before I found this amazing site ) and I believe it was a full root because I downloaded "quick boot" hit recovery and my phone went into Clockworkmodrecovery I think it was called is that whats its supposed to go to? anyways I wanted to try getting a new rom but don't really know how to go about it (the evo-ology red one) I looked at the video but got lost since my phone was rooted a different way can someone point me in the right direction PLEASE! Thanks
First how did you root your phone? It's sounds like you're fine but just want to verify. To ensure you are completely rooted with an unlocked nand- power off your phone, hold Vol Down and boot into bootloader. At the top of your screen it will tell you your hboot version. If it is .76.2 you're golden. If it says .79 then you only got through 1/2 the process and need to still unlock your nand.

The steps for flashing a ROM are contained in this tutorial but I'll run ya through it.

Before you start perform a backup of the ROM your are on just in case you need to start over. You should have that option in Recovery. Look for a backup/restore option.

I assume you are talking about OMJ ROM v1.9 EnamoRED?
Since there's a very good chance the root process took you back to pre-OTA software you'll want to flash OMJ v1.7 ROM1 to get back all the OTA files.

http://vegasden.net/OMJ/ROMs/PC36IMG.zip
(Also grab the zip file for v1.9 and place that on your card http://vegasden.net/OMJ/ROMs/OMJ_EVO...9_EnamoRED.zip)

v1.7 ROM1 is a different file format than most ROM's. It's in the PC36IMG file format that you may/may not have used during the root process. Place the file on the root of your SD card. Then boot into bootloader like I described above. The file will be read, when prompted select Yes for update, then Yes again for reboot.

After the ROM reboots dont bother setting up the ROM. Just click next through the menus till you're back at the home screen. Then boot into Recovery.
Once there select Wipe and factory reset and wipe dalvik cache 2 times each (some debate whether this is needed but I'd do it)
Next select flash zip from SD card. Select v1.9 that you put on your card earlier and wait for it to finish.
Reboot once it's done.
By the time you do all this you'll then want to flash Froyo j/k once you are set up you can flash any ROM that's in the zip format the way you flashed v1.9
OMJ's Froyo ROM is flashed that way.
Radio and wimax updates are flashed like that as well but you dont need to wipe beforehand. Just put them on your card and select them from Recovery.