View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Sharkie405
VIP Member

Sharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [Kitchen] WVGA Touch Pro 2 Collaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthomas View Post
I think its just you and me in the thread, with about 10-12 regulars poping in now n then. I remenber when...

Hey how do you create and or edit (shortcut files) files like these????
My bad for missing this post. I release my ROM today and that's all that's been on my mind.

As far as creating shortcut\.lnk files:

Right click on an exe\.application and select create shortcut. This will create a .lnk\shortcut in the same directory the exe\application was in.

As far as editing them, if you mean their position in your ROM:

You must edit the app.dat or make one from scratch if there's not one already. If there's not one already I usually will copy and paste one from another package and then just delete all the info. in it so I have a clean empty app.dat to work with.

For example, I have PIM Backup in my Start Menu Tools folder. To accomplish this I created\edit this app.dat:

Code:
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Tools"):-File("PIM Backup.lnk","\Windows\PIM Backup.lnk")
The first part "("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Tools")" tells it where to put the .lnk\shortcut. I want PIM Backup in my Start Menu Tools folder. Most things will start out in Windows obviously.

The second part ":-File("PIM Backup.lnk" tells it what you want there and what you want it to be called. If I wanted PIM Backup to be called "Clown Soup" in my Start menu then my app.dat would look like this:
Code:
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Tools"):-File("Clown Soup.lnk","\Windows\PIM Backup.lnk")
Just remember if you change the name of a .lnk\shortcut you will need to adjust the name accordingly anywhere else in the kitchen that you are using this .lnk\shortcut. If you have regedits that change the Start Menu icons, you would have to change that too. For an example, let's use PIM Backup again. The start Menu regedit I use to change the PIM Backup icon is this:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Tools\PIM Backup.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\PIM Backup.png"
If I were to change the name of the Start Menu .lnk\shortcut of PIM Backup to "Clown Soup" then I would also have to edit this regedit to:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Tools\Clown Soup.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\PIM Backup.png"
The third part "\Windows\PIM Backup.lnk") tells it where to get the .lnk\shortcut from.

So it's:
1) Where do you want it?
2)What is it?\What do you want it to be called? (Usually this is not changed, but it can be)
3)Where is this link coming from? (Usually it's Windows\whatever the program is called.lnk

I learned this from here.

I don't think any of this info. is relevant when dealing with OEMs though. I believe only EXTs have app.dats. I thought I remember you saying something about trying to build a kitchen based mostly on OEMS. I can't help on that one, sorry.

Last edited by Sharkie405; 08-01-2010 at 09:18 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.