View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Biofall
Regular 'Geeker

Biofall is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How Best Buy screwed me Over with my Evo...And How I Got A New One TODAY

To people who are returning and have already read all this: I successfully got a new white EVO today!! There was some arguing about my screen lifting and power button crack (the rep said those were non-existent problems and that I did it), but they finally freaking gave in! Yay! The only question now is whether or not I reroot, because of the talk of Froyo release..

I'm sure many of you all here have read some of my posts before, so try to bear with me and tell me how ridiculous this seems, as I am in shock still. It's a pretty hefty read, but I think the reader would agree this is outrageous.

It all started at my local Best Buy location. So about 9 days before the EVO came out, I called up the store, and asked if I came in the next day, would I still be able to preorder my Evo no problem. She said yes, so I drove up and tried to preorder it, but I was told by a certain employee (let's call him employee X), that I wouldn't be able to get it on launch day, despite my phone call. I was upset, but there was nothing I could do. Come the June 11th, I was called up to pick up the second wave Evo. Along with 5 other customers in the Best Buy, I eagerly purchased the Evo and began the activation process, when Mr. X interjected. He declared that they couldn't switch the ESN from the old phone to the Evo, and sent myself and the others over to the Sprint location across the street. When I arrived at that location, the employees were furious. Apparently the Best Buy Mobile workers were fully able to, and just sent people over to the Sprint store all the time. So I waited for an hour or two at the busy location to activate my phone.

After a couple of weeks, on July 3rd (fully within the thirty day period) I went back up to Best Buy to request an exchange for a new device, because mine was experiencing the screen lifting issue, along with sd card issues. A Best Buy Mobile worker who wasn't Mr. X gladly issued me a rain check and took down my contact information, because although they didn't have any units to replace it with, they would call me when they did.

Today on the 23, (20 days later) I recieved a call to come pick up my new Evo. I arrived at the store, and Mr. X began the process on his computer to prepare for the activation. I handed him my phone, and then after a couple of minutes, he handed it back to me. "I can't do this, because it's not within the thirty day period." Needless to say, I was slightly stunned. I said "No, I have this rain check, because I came in during the thirty day period, and you were out." He proceeded to tell me that the rain check was just for pricing.. I adamantly stated that I specifically came in during the period, and that the date was on the rain check. He didn't care, and said that he wouldn't or couldn't do it. He said we would have to get it exchanged through Sprint. I was mad but I went right to Sprint. They couldn't believe my story, but they were only able to give me a refurbished unit due to the fact it wasn't in the thirty days, and that I bought it at Best Buy. He said he knew the managers over there, and to go ask for manager "Y". We went back and requested this manager, who asked what the problem was. We explained, and he went over to Mr. X and they talked amongst themselves for near ten minutes. When he came back, he said that it was a rain check, so there was nothing he could do. Completely stunned, I implored as to what I could have done. I was told that whoever gave me the rain check shouldn't have done that. They should have taken me down for a replacement, but they didn't, so it was now too late. I named the person who gave the rain check to me, and they went off again. When they came back they said he didn't recall me ever mentioning the problem.. So I they just apologized. I was very frustrated by this point, and stated that it was ridiculous that I suffered from another employee's error, and they threatened to have me removed from the store. So we left, and after calling Sprint (who has referred me to email a higher-up) we went and ordered a replacement refurbished Evo..

Thanks for your time.

EDIT
Haha wow.. I'm on the phone with Best Buy Customer Care.
Rep: I just explained to my supervisor and he says that it was a store screwup but you have to get a refurb through the manufacturer.. It's ok though.. Refurbs are good!
Me: Let me talk to that supervisor..
Told that dude my story, he was appalled, now transferring to coroporate care.
Corporate called the location, and when I go tomorrow they will exchange. Persistence FTW!!!
Edit 2: As I got off the phone, the doorbell rang. My refurb came in that I ordered. I'll hold on to it until tomorrow, and hopefully I'll get a new phone at BB so I can send it back. It looks perfect, but they send it without a battery/sd card, and one of my original problems was with the sd card, and I want a new one.
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)

Last edited by Biofall; 07-29-2010 at 07:03 PM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.