View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Silent_Patriot
PPCGeeks Regular

Silent_Patriot is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: manila 2.5 weather not working over the air

In Sunrise, FL (20 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale) here and was having the same issue, but have it working again after letting it run until the battery ran out of power then plugging it in and recharging to full before turning it back on (about 4 hours). I suspect that there's old data that's not getting flushed as the cause. It's either that or the fact that the GPS sats are being taxed pretty heavily due to the oil spill activity in the Gulf.

I spent a LOT of time messing around with this after the issue started occurring almost immediately following updating to Verizon MR2. Took a short trip south of Miami to Homestead right after I had flashed and setup all my apps, including Bing which I was testing out the GPS on and seemed to be working just fine. I remember hitting Update while there to see the Location change, and it updated while there but after I got back and tried again, it was still stuck down there. Tried to fix by unlocking and installing the Mr. X MR2 update (which is working great and I definitely recommend over Verizon's); unfortunately, it did not correct the Weather "bug" as it continued to occur.

Found many posts about the issue and tried most of the suggested workarounds (turning Location off/on, etc). Was resigned to just waiting it out as some folks have reported it automatically start working normally again after a few weeks. The workaround I was using was to turn on HTC WiFi Router then do the Weather update. It would also update if connected to WLAN or through ActiveSync to my home network - WLAN just had to be on, it didn't actually have to be connected (as demonstrated by the WiFi Router workaround).

Anyway, hope this helps someone else as frustrated as I was. Again, it's been working flawlessly OTA since running it all the way out of battery power and charging it back up before turning it back on.