View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 AM
grad20_09
PPCGeeks Regular

grad20_09 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Re: Your First Weekend With The Evo

Had wet my feet in the waters purchasing two HEROS for my mother and my sister, however did not want to get spoiled so I never really downloaded any apps, rooted, or customized them in any way other than google apps. The past weekend my sleep schedule has been off mainly because of this phone, I stay up late playing around with it, because it's so awesome. The only thing I foresee being a problem is the battery life. I will probably end up getting an extended battery so that I have two batteries for the thing. Although I like the live wallpapers, they do seem to SIGNIFICANTLY drain the battery faster. I went to the gym and running for almost 2 hours, constantly streaming music off of my renewed rhapsody subscription(love it), and the battery drained to roughly 60ish percent. I'm not complaining and I don't think the battery life is that horrible it just depends on how you are using the device.

The huge screen is beautiful, when I look at the HEROS they are tiny and light compared to the EVO. I will have to say i'm slightly disappointed in the 4G capabilities, or rather the coverage that I'm getting. I was driving into Houston (where there should be more or less full 4g coverage) streaming rhapsody and it lost the 4g connection and restarted the song, slightly disappointing... However I kind of expected this because I'm 1 mile south of coverage in Houston(it sucks), but I think the 4G will shine when i'm tethering with other devices, and when I'm actually standing in ONE location so that I'm not going 75mph switching between towers within a matter of minutes/seconds.

I went app crazy and downloaded all the apps I thought looked interesting, and I experienced some freezing issues with certain apps. However, since cleaning up all my un-needed apps and found the right task manager, I love it. I haven't had any lockups/force closes. I think it's just a matter of getting the phone customized, settling it in, and using it.

One thing that slightly bugs me is the headphone jack being on top, although most people like that. When putting it in or pulling it out of my pocket it's awkward, or maybe I'm just use to the TP2 3.5mm jack being on the bottom.

Although the OS isn't AS customizable as windows, it's a hell of a lot more stable and the apps are of much more quality (generally). Loopt, glympse, and others work so much better. Having a gmail as my main email account, I love the push email, all google services (gmail, voice, calendar, ETC) are so integrated, and the voice recognition for searching, or even voice-to-text is AWESOME.(I find myself using SWYPE) No lag in the GPS, no lag period. Overall, I'm completely satisfied and I wouldn't trade it for any other phone known to man right now.

Last edited by grad20_09; 06-07-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling errors