View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
my pants are tight
Lurker

my pants are tight is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is Windows Mobile On Its Way Out?

I live 3 miles from Microsoft. I have a friend who worked on the Windows Mobile team for 2 years. He recently moved to a different team. Windows Mobile is far from dead. They have been working on Windows Mobile 8 for at least 9 months, not major work on 8 but WM7 has been done for quite awhile. I'm not sure why they did not released it months ago. I can tell you WM7 is a memory hog. My friend at Microsoft thinks that Android will be much better than Win Mobile in the next year or two.

Microsoft rarely leaves a market once they've entered it. Windows Mobile and the new WM7 will continue. Historically, Microsoft has thrown billions of dollars at products to win the race. Microsoft spent billions to dethrone Netscape to win the web browser war in the 90's (Firefox & Chrome are catching up quickly today) and billions in the video game console market with their XBOX brand. Microsoft continues to make Zune MP3 players for reasons that I will never understand. Basically, they have billions of dollars to throw at their product development and they are more than willing to spend whatever it takes to win for however long it takes to actually win in a market.
This post has been thanked 1 times.