View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 02:25 AM
coppermine18
PPCGeeks Regular

coppermine18 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Touch Pro 2...4G capable???

The Touch Pro 2/Tilt 2, Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 etc all based off a chipset that updated but not really in speed. The phones have grown more in features than processing power until now.

The working memory the phone have is limited with its mobile apps. Full featured desktop programs use more memory then the phone has by a long shot. The processor is not like a desktop processor in its full extent nor the bus speeds and do provide a large bottleneck. A good portion of this is Battery life and heat.

Now the technology and demand are hitting the market you got the iPhone 3GS, the Snapdragon processor in some phones and soon the nVidia Tegra in combination with ARM which will destroy all mobile phone processing on the market to date. As processors got faster and hotter the architechture changes so that instead of straight MHz increases they increased the IPC (Instructions per clock) to do more work with less power as the silicon die sizes got smaller as well as using multiple cores. Now they have multiple core cpus doing loads of instruction at half their TJMax which is the rated heat before the cpu is damaged. The nVidia Tegra has 12 cores...! It does the whole 9 yards and leave the ARM for processing the basic stuff.

I love WM but Ive faced the fact it hasnt been designed as a play phone and a business phone. Limited texts before it bogs, simple web browsing no awesome use we would live to have and a bagillion 3rd party apps that the phone can barely handle outside itself.

So these phones are great business tools and more but pushed to the extent of a mobile powerhouse the wall wont go down, the wifi will always be rather slow, the pages will render the same speed because the mobile browser has a lot of parsing to do so that the page is viable memory wise etc.

I have owned every one of these since a slideout keyboard was introduced and each has had a bit faster data, nicer features etc but in the end just wasnt built for as much as I or others here would like.

The 4G phones will be awesome with more processing power but I am going to wait to see a full market of them first. I also would prefer to have a phone with Tegra... If you have played with a Zune HD, that is what powers it.

Just my 2 cents. WM phones have done all I ever wanted as well as frustrate me and teach me patience sometimes. lol. Looking forward to the new hardware changes!