View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM
jakewill
PPCGeeks Regular

jakewill is keeping up the good workjakewill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Must Have Apps for Andriod on the Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoust View Post
Hi Guy's
Well I am about to leave the Windows mobile scene and never look back but I have to be sure that there is an application for Remote desktop client? I need a client that will enable me to VPN into a secure sight and view my data as needed from anywhere in the Country. Is the such an App for Android? I really like the Incredible but the lack of a real keyboard is another thing that's bothering me. Is that Swipe app that good??
1. There's a few RDP clients, and VNC clients in the Android marketplace. You can look at them here: http://www.appbrain.com/ - just search for RDP or Remote Desktop or whatever. -- There's one called "Remote RDP Lite" that's free, but doesn't have some certain features. Otherwise, they're all paid apps.

2. Google VPN for Android -- there's actually a built in VPN function in the connections, and if that doesn't work, there are more VPN apps.

3. There are a few different software keyboards to try.
a. Stock HTC Incredible Keyboard - tap, vibrate, click-sound, autofill, talk-to-text, landscape - a lot of people like this keyboard.
b. Swype - GREAT keyboard. You have to find an APK, but it's easy to install and works FAST. No talk-to-text, yet, though.
c. ThickButtons - uses prediction to enlarge your next potential keys. Kind of neat. I like Swype better

I got my wife an Incredible for Mother's Day, and when she found out it wasn't "Free" like all of the rest of her phones have been, and that it would be an extra $20/month, she immediately hated the phone without using it. I made her use it for the last 3 weeks, and now she likes it, but still doesn't wanna keep it. The two things she said she would miss: Jewels, and "that Swypey keyboard thingy". She doesn't text at all, but she said she WOULD text if she had that keyboard... Still wasn't enough to get her to use a smartphone, but to me, that says a lot for the keyboard.

Hope it helps.

jakewill