View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM
solarflarex
Halfway to VIP Status

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is anyone going to get the new HTC EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
Dude, I'm sorry, but it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. iPhone is proprietary hardware because of its stupid Apple port, while Android phones have a standard micro USB, and the EVO has a standard micro HDMI. Nothing proprietary about that. I like that I can use cables that I already have laying around...and they're cheap to buy more.

Also, about the app development, Android has an OPEN market. Anyone can code for it. That means amateurs and professionals alike. I've seen tons of professional applications on the Android platform and they're fantastic. So are the amateurs' ones as well. Even if it's not on the market, you can manually install .apk files anyway, so it doesn't matter. Sure beats what MS has going on right now (from a dev prospective such as mine).

Android programs are coded in the Java EE environment, and I can pretty much guarantee more people in the world know Java than know Apple's stupid XCode crap or whatever they use. Mark my words, Android's market will be twice the size of Apple's market within the next two years easily...and with more free apps. Not to mention I read that Froyo will bring JIT to the table allowing for easier coding on the dev side.

I'm really trying hard not to be an ass here, but you're making statements as if they're factual, but they're really just based on your opinion and what you think is true...but these are the facts.

EDIT: I'd also like to state my opinion as well. I've been a huge supporter of WM since WM5, but I really don't think WP7 is going to work out as well as they hope. It's quite sad, because I was looking forward to the new WP7, but I don't like what I see, and I don't think many others do either. I hate to say it, but I'd rather own an iPhone than a WP7 device...and I hate Apple passionately.

Proprietary isn't just hardware connections.. I wasn't even referring to anything hardware actually. True anyone can code for google but same for windows mobile too. Problem is with the dumbed down toolsets is they aren't very functional. If google limits their toolset like apple (something I don't know) then thats pretty sucky. Kudos to them if they dont. Point is you can have a million lighter apps created by the masses and one really good xbox live game with OTA online play.. and the winner is clear for me. Its not all about the games though although its going to be sweet. WM7 is a clean break it sounds like from the old ways of thinking. This isn't bad and even in emulation things will still work i'm sure. It always gets worked out... for instance Vista was "supposed" to not run any pre-xp stuff but it does great with it now. While its not slated for the main support, someone will surely write an emulator or microsoft will patch it later.

I am happy that a completely new phone/mobile OS is being developed. All of them are limited and generally sucky.. look at what we deal with on customizing our winmo' phones as it is... I do like the droid sense way to throwing in widgets etc, but wm7 will be alot like that too. I bet the customization will be greater on the wm device however.... Microsoft has learned its lesson on interfaces by now.

You can call it microsuck all you want, and while I was an amiga head I hated nothing more than pee-cee's.. but face it. They have come a long way and windows 7 rules for pc and I am expecting microsofts new moves in the mobile market are going to be earth shaking. Can't wait till its done and we get to see some of the 5" devices just around the corner. Some of them may have 3d displays (w/o glasses) too.. Apparently they have had them in japan for the past several years (no suprise I lived there in the early 90's and they are still more advanced than us...) but it didn't take off for some reason. Now with the new 3d tv craze... its picking up steam again.

Have your keyboardless <5" screen evo. At least you can get slideIT on the device which makes it better than no kb.. I'll wait a few months and get into something shinier =) till then the Tp2 is still really damn good. I can do so much with this phone...