View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 05:34 PM
mrmediaguy
PPCGeeks Regular

mrmediaguy knows their stuffmrmediaguy knows their stuffmrmediaguy knows their stuffmrmediaguy knows their stuffmrmediaguy knows their stuffmrmediaguy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ║MightyROM.com║ ║Windows Phone®║ ║Sense UI 2.5║

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiDave View Post
I will be glad to see something soon, as the last official MR Rom is strarting to melt down. I cant make it thru the day with out 4 to 5 resets, battery life has went to the crapper. Its really strange i have been on this rom for over a month and have added nothing new or removed anyting. It worked great for the first several week and now it painfull to use.
This is the MAIN thing for which I'm excited about Windows Phone 7 -- my company is a phone device partner to MSFT and from what they have shared with us so far on the underlying technical architecture, overall device resource management will be much, much cleaner in Phone 7. Even badly written apps (and it will be harder to write a bad app with the new tools!) should not be able to leak memory as they do today.

To the current problem, I've never seen a really good analysis of why WM phones gradually go to crap over time even when you don't install new apps, but most of the contributing factors are known. It seems that just the everyday tasks (storing call history, messaging services, alarms and calendar reminders, etc.) all take their toll on the various system DBs over time.

Those of you who've been around since the Pocket PC 2003 days may remember a program called "Check Notifications" from ScaryBear Software. This little app would display everything in the Notifications DB and let you clear out duplicate, excess or old system notifications that over time would slow your devices waaaaaay down. (For the uninitiated, a notification is a system message generated when an event happens, like getting a new SMS or finding a WiFi connection. Apps and services can monitor these and take a specific action based on the event.) The problem is that WM has always had poor management of notifications; they are often left uncleared and build up in the Notifications DB over time. Some services periodically look at the Notifications DB, and if you have 300 events in there it could really slow things down. This was not supposed to be a problem on WM5 and later, but I used to run Check Notifications on my Mogul and could still clear out maybe 200-300 notifications every couple weeks, which did seem to keep things from bogging down over time. We are supposed to be "way past that" now, but it might be interesting to see what really happens to the various system DBs over a few weeks of usage.

Another culprit of slow performance, if you are running apps from your memory card, is that these need to be defragmented periodically just like a hard drive -- but that is probably just a minor contributor to slowdown for most people.
This post has been thanked 1 times.