benny6800
Lurker

benny6800 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
EPST-i dont really know about this...

As far as GPS goes, aGPS is the assisted mode on the GPSone chip(hence the "a", assisted by the cell network for example)that is used to aid in triangulation and for the downloading of maps. If youre using a program that requires a data connection, then aGPS wont work if you dont have a signal or data connection (think google maps). If you are using a program which keeps its maps on a storage card or internal memory, then the chip WILL work in standalone mode(without a cell or data connection). example: TomTom

As far as GPS limitations, i know of none. GPS stands for GLOBAL Positioning System, so GPS chips arent locked by any carrier. Ideally you should be able to take GPS anywhere providing that you either have maps in stored memory of where your going, or have a data connection to download them on the fly.

Hope this helps
I was under the impression that the Mogul doesn't have a 'standalone' GPS chip like the siRF, it only uses the gpsOne chip for network triangulation (thanks wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GpsOne).

I have an external bluetooth GPS reciever which works fine with google maps and tomtom, I get about 9 satellites, but when I switch over to the internal GPS the programs do find the the internal reciever but I never get any signal. I was assuming this was because of the network here.

Have you actually tried using the GPS on the Mogul outside of mainland US before?

Ben