Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
djp952
PPCGeeks Regular

djp952 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ROM] 6.5.5 Drellisdee Whitestone RC1.2 23557 & 21896 4/10/10

I'm back! lol.

My report card on 1.1a in "roaming" mode is good overall. I had no issues up in Canada functionality-wise other than a really annoying "can't figure out what country you're in" message, which has nothing to do with the ROM. Performance was an on-and-off issue (mostly off), but everyone knows that by now, so there is little point going into that now that the SYS has been updated I also learned a few very bad mistakes I made on my custom taskbar ... "roaming" shows up as "no WiFi", for example, but that's 100% my fault and again nothing to do with the ROM.

I of course updated to RC 1.2 tonight. Absolutely no problems thus far, nary a one. No lock-ups while flashing, performance seems notably better, two thumbs "way way up". I did have one lock-up, which is mentioned below since it may well be an app issue, but I can't find a way to blame the ROM...

My 1.2 comments:

- The Marketplace Netflix application locks up on the initial Accept/Reject screen. You see no text and after clicking "Accept", you have to soft reset. Been that way on all 6.5.x so far, probably a bug in the application, but thought I'd mention it. My first soft-reset after "Accept" to fix Netflix caused a lock-up. I was stuck at the stock WM 6.5.x unlock screen and couldn't get out of it. A second soft-reset solved all, including Netflix.

- All default settings seem right based on the original VZW ROM, I've crossed a lot of things off of my setup list. Nice.

- I still suggest baking-in the camera speed-up modifications outlined here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1673469. I used the camera a lot this past weekend, and ran into zero problems with these settings enabled. It made the camera significantly better for me. Given that they are reg settings, perhaps a .CAB to turn them on and off in the \My Documents\Drellisdee folder is the best option?

- I suggest taking the two wallpapers, stwater_480_800.jpg and stwater_800_480.jpg from BlackGloss.tsk file and making them available as wallpapers, perhaps in "My Wallpapers", licensing withstanding. This will allow the end user to select one of them for the SenseUI wallpaper. Related, I see no downsides to the "bg4all" modification. My *ideal* Drellisdee default ROM would have BG4ALL and this 800x480 wallpaper set for SenseUI, since it matches the WinMo theme wallpaper. Opinion, of course, but I think it looks great as a default. After extracting those .JPG files from the .TSK I'm really liking it compared to something more colorful. I think it would be a really sharp default with little to no impact to anyone that doesn't like it.

- I suggest "Home.WallpaperMode" be set to 2 by default, but leave the 2 CABs you made in place to allow people to switch. My reasoning here is that the Imagio is just not powerful enough for these animations to be effective for all users and your acceptance factor will be higher if it's not enabled by default.

Other than that ... hmm .... can't find any flaws yet. So far the new SYS is much improved. Time will tell, I thought 1.1a was much improved as well - lol !

- djp

Last edited by djp952; 04-12-2010 at 11:12 PM.