View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 AM
CrusherJoe
Lurker

CrusherJoe is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ Kitchen ][ 3-5 ][ v1.6 R3 ][28232 / 23542 / 21893 / 21056] Calkulin's WVGA Kitc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
very organized. easy to find what i was looking for (downloading 21647 now).

yeah, sense always seem to freeze up my phone, always had low memory avail. mobile shell works better for me. only pain is customizing it after every flash, it doesn't like to restore when ROM is different even if the files and shortcuts are in the same place.
I can help you out here. I've been using Mobile Shell for a long while, and being a flashaholic, I had to find a way to keep my (few, mostly Jeff's) widgets and layouts. After a lot of trial and error, here's the combination I use to backup and restore MS:

• Sashimi -- install the MS 6.5.3 cab, import in 2 files of registry settings (one that contains my MS registration info and the other is for Jeff's widgets), then finally copy over the .dat files (which contain Jeff's widgets and a few other minor mods I've done). These overwrite the existing .dat files installed by MS 6.5.3.
  • Built-in settings backup/restore -- before a flash, I backup my settings (including the pictures used in "Favorite Contacts") to a file on my SD card. I restore the settings after flashing, since all the .reg and .dat files are in place...it works. Oh, one more thing, if you're an Exchange/Outlook user (as I am) and your contacts are on Exchange (as they should be) let the first run of ActiveSync complete before restoring your MS settings. That way the "Favorite Contacts" page actually restores correctly with the right contacts, pictures and placement. If you don't...well, it gets ugly quick.
  • ShellExtension 1.4.3 -- the only thing I have to do manually is run this to change my number of menubars/menubar icons...and I'm done.
  • Well, almost, I still have to set my background wallpaper. Now I'm done.

Granted, the whole process could probably be automated a little more by exporting/importing the MS registry tree, but since my method works with an acceptable level of effort on my part...if ain't broke, don't fix it.

To give you an idea of the "light" widget load I use, here's my main screen:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen002.jpg (10.1 KB, 36 views) Click for barcode!