View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 PM
gmore
Lurker

gmore is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: **[4/09/10]** SPRINT LOVER'S ROM 2.5 | Official 21889 6.5 | Organization | Speed

1st post from a Trifecta Noob (PPCG, TP2, Flashing) - much of the following for the potential benefit of other noobs.

Sprint Sero Customer waiting to 'upgrade' to a Nexus One release(or ?) when my Centro died, picked up the TP2 as a 'transition' 30 day trial phone with the small possibility of keeping. Spent several hours with 6.1 (fairly intuitive set-up(via my IPAQ history), not real fluid in operation (jerky in transition) - spent several more hours with 6.5 ( a little more fluid (not really any faster), but appeared to have fewer option for set-up (or harder to find ? ) )- looked to optimize(speed-up) the phone when I discovered and researched these ROMS, and decided to try this one.

1st (as a marketing guy), good thread title and very well organized 1st page - clearly defined audience... ME ! I knew what to expect and pretty much understood what was required (also read the entire thread... long, but worth it.) For other potential noobs (if you're willing to deal with them/me), you may want to post the Unlock/Flash video link on the 1st page - any good reference to Sashimi or other settings storage option also appreciated.

The process was fairly easy - upon the 1st boot, the touch reaction was instant and it appeared the phone was flying but I experienced frequent ghosting of images. With some additional trials, I realized that I had only rebooted and did not do a hard reset (the video clearly states to do this 2X - to all other noobs, hold the power button til the rainbow screen appears). After 2 full hard resets back to back, I've spent several hours/days with this phone and have been quite pleased - the phone seems even more fluid with more setting/monitor options and some excellent adds. I AB'd this with my brothers 6.5 and found that it was faster in some areas (ie: pages often loaded faster when surfing) and although I can't say the speed was noticibly better in all areas (keep in mind my limited experience here), it was never slower. Once, the process monitor tab (upper right - not available on 6.5) would not open and during this time a slide-screen wake on the home page would cause the clock image to ghost everytime - restarted the phone and the issue has yet to re-occur - I credit it to WM, but mention only if it helps in some way.

I am happy and impressed with your mod, but not 100% sold on the phone yet (its growing on me) - if I do keep, I see no need to try any other ROM and will keep this and donate. My brother has been reluctant to unlock and try anything not stock, but given my experience (and his dissapointment with 6.5) may finally do so as well.

I understand your 'stock' position on this build (one of the main reasons I even tried it), but I would like to see a 'programs' tab option that accesses all programs (with a similar menu to 'adding a quick link'), can't find any real easy way to access them all. Also more quick link options - maybe 12 or 15,( if no option to expand in settings - couldn't find).

On a side note, if anyone using this ROM is aware of a decent Palm or grid-style calender cab(that syncs to Outlook), would love a link (or even a tasks/notes one with assignable time and alarm ) - don't mean to sidetrack the thread but with a ton of searching it appears I'm the only one who can't stand the WM 6.5 calender - can't find a mention anywhere - the 6.1 calander appeared briefly once in an early reboot but then 6.5 took over - from limited use/memory 6.1 seemed quicker to set an appointment.

Haven't checked out your cab pack yet, but will research it (as well as how to install cabs).

Thanks Chris, excellent work. =D>