View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
cflynt
VIP Member
Threadstarter

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2 Rhodium Updated 3-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit07 View Post
I have a question, when (hopefully not if) we get sound, where will it come from most likely? Will it come from the kernel site? Will it be an update from Pippy? Just wondering if anybody knows. Thanks!
Good question, and there is a lot of confusion with that issue. The quick answer to your question is it will most likely be in the Kernel. The Kernel houses most of your drivers.

Now as far as the Pippy role. MrPippy is one of many developers working on Android/Linux stuff. It is thanks to 95Civic for getting the desire to make Rhodium CDMA data work, they already have CDMA working with other devices. Just Rhodium for some reason was handled differently. 95Civic managed to make the phone work, which is more than most had accomplished, mind you most didn't have a CDMA Rhodium to play with. Then 95Civic ran out of time to dev, and in came MrPippy, whom was already a major developer for what Android is today. And he had just gotten himself a CDMA Rhodium, hence desire to fix it. So he managed to figure out that the RIL which controls our radio was a lot different, so to get us going he modified the RIL. It was so different that it in current state can't work with the other RIL's till it gets merged in, hence why we have to run a separate rootfs.img where the RIL exists, than all other devices. And why anytime a new rootfs.img comes out with changes, like the Wifi Tethering that Stinebd accomplished we have to go in and implement the RIL MrPippy changed into it in order for us to use it.

So the jist is, yes MrPippy rocks for getting us going, but don't forget all the other developers out there that have worked their tails off to get us where we are today, INCLUDING MrPippy, who continues to develop as well as all the others. I do in fact believe that MrPippy is focussing a lot of his attention on sound, hence some of the commits for H2W which is our audio jacks. As well as some other developers. They all work together and then we come up with a working product.

Unfortunately the adsp chips in the Rhodium are very different I guess than most other devices, hence why we don't have sound to this day. Every day they make a little headway but there is a lot to be done from my understanding. So it very well could be awhile unless a major breakthrough happens, which often does.

Hope that novel answers your questions in more ways than one, I just didn't want you guys thinking that MrPippy was the ONLY one that gives us anything of value. There are numerous developers that do this for us, and without them we wouldn't be having this thread at all.
This post has been thanked 3 times.