View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 AM
cflynt
VIP Member

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Ok guys, before things do get further out of hand, lots have already touched base on it but I thought I would touch base one more time.

Just due to the fact you see MrPippy online, doesn't have anything at all to do with the fact he is about to do anything. He could be reading threads, mind you the TP2 isn't by any means the only thing he has nor works on, so just due to the fact he is online, he might be in another forum thread all together, so don't jump to conclusions.

Next, yes, there is an IRC channel, no doubt that's where the DEVELOPERS do hang out and discuss. And as mentioned, they don't need lots of heads in there asking silly questions that will get in the way of what they are working on. So sure, if you want to join in go for it, but just do it to monitor please unless you have something to add to their issues.

And one major point, MrPippy, mind you is great, he along with Civic who started this whole ordeal got us CDMA radio. That is a Godsend in its own no doubt. But do keep in mind MrPippy is just 1 head out of many that have gotten Android where it is today. They all have their specialties, and they are all working on things all the time when they aren't dealing with real life issues. They aren't here to tailor to your every desire. They do feel a sense of accomplishment no doubt when they can provide what everyone is wanting. But they have their own agenda, and some are working on sound, while others are working on battery while others are working on touchscreen etc.

What I am getting at, is those wishing for MrPippy to give you some miraculous build, which by the way, the only thing, and I mean ONLY thing MrPippy has provided you in Post #1 is the rootfs.img. He gave links to the Android Eclair build, the Kernel autobuild site and instructions on how to throw it together. Then he posted up the modified special for CDMA rootfs.img. So those that keep referring to MrPippy's next build are going to be waiting a long time heh. No doubt he is one of the many great developers that got the Android Eclair build going, as well as the contributions to the Kernel as well. But there are many others that are associated with that as well, and I don't foresee MrPippy going off on his own to provide some special build, other than if it is something that is specific to make CDMA work.

You guys really need to learn how to go grab the kernel and modules yourself, instead of relying on someone to update it for you, no doubt they have been very helpful in providing it for you currently, but I can guarantee all of these guys have a real life, have their families to tend to first etc, and all you are going to do is make yourself wait for the latest and the greatest. It really isn't difficult, I promise you will feel self gratification once you do it yourself and realize how easy it was. There are 3 things to monitor, mind you, if you don't know how to open up the rootfs.img and put what MrPippy has modified in it, then I don't recommend dealing with the rootfs.img but you can at least see what is new, and see if it applies to anything you have been waiting on.

Links:

Latest Eclair Android build:
http://htcandroid.xland.cz/

Latest Initrd.gz builds:
http://xdandroid.southcape.org/initramfs/

Latest rootfs.img builds:
http://xdandroid.southcape.org/rootfs/ <-- I repeat, don't grab, just use for reference unless you know what you are doing to merge MrPippy's changes.

And lastly, sound is being worked on all the time. MrPippy has been making progress with the HEADPHONE jack and that is it currently heh. My understanding is the actual external speaker is a whole piece of work on its own and will probably be awhile unless we just get lucky with some new kernel work being done. So don't get too excited, but if things progress enough with the headphone jack, at least you can use headphones and/or an external speaker to at least hear phone stuff. So that is definitely better than nothing right!

Hope it helps peeps, hope you are enjoying it all, I know I am. It blows WM out of the water even with the issues we still have outstanding.

Take Care
This post has been thanked 8 times.