View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM
jeff_roey
PPCGeeks Regular

jeff_roey is keeping up the good workjeff_roey is keeping up the good workjeff_roey is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New ROM VZW 3.04 Shipped

Wanted to provide a little feedback on my battery life issue. Like some of you, when I upgraded to the 3.04 ROM my battery life seemingly went south really fast. Did more than a few hard resets and build ups from scratch to try to determine what was causing my significantly reduced battery life.

Bottom line, at least for me, is my battery life woes were more of a concidience with the 3.04 ROM release than anything else. My real problem was a defective battery . . .

What was happening to me was my battery would completely drain within a day or so if I didn't get to a charger. I know, I know - it's a smart phone, what did I expect? Well, I expected my battery life to be at least as good as it was before I jumped onto the ROM wagon, no better. My personal usage profile (talk/text time, locations, no. of bars, email sync freq, etc.) before I started having problems would let me go up to three days without charging if I really wanted to. As of late, 100 to 50% in two to three hours and and a steady decline after that.

Like I just stated, somewhere along the way I happened to notice that with a full charge, my battery would run down to about 50 % in two hours or so and once I hit about 50% I would get what I thought to be close to normal drain. A flag went up based on what little I know about battery cells so I decided to stop my my local Verizon store.

I explained what was happening to the tech and she didn't even bother to pull the cover off of the back of my phone, she just began typing up the warranty replacement paperwork. FYI: I ordered my phone on the very first day they became available from VZW so if my battery is still under warranty, odds are so is yours.

Too late to make a long story short but I've since received my replacement battery and although I'm only a few charge cycles into it, I'm noticing "at least as good as before" battery performance. I'm not going to go crazy with "heaps better!" or "batt life with this ROM rocks!" just yet but I'm convinced that a defective battery was my problem.

If you haven't ruled a bad battery out, consider looking into it before you go too much further with a setting-by-setting troubleshooting regiment.

The following link is to a quick article about prolonging Li On battery life:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

No silver bullets but it provided a little bit of insight into what I shouldn't be doing. Hope it helps.