View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Sparkster
Lurker

Sparkster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking This VOIP setup works on my Apache 6700 running WM6, but...

Thanks,
Must have been the 3G setting that did it, because it works now. =D>

BUT...

I don't have any data service on my phone. It is an Alltel unit used and I have it on a prepaid plan (I really just wanted the pocket pc) with no data service. I have good wireless coverage at home and work and a few hot spots I know of so this works for me.

I only have WiFi and it works with the phone on or off, but not quite right. I can connect to SipPhone (Gizmo) and dial 411 "TELLME" but its as if the operator is hearing all kinds of noise from my phone, keeps thinking I'm saying things. I tried Sjphone yesterday and that did work, but same issue with tellme. I could hear very well, but when I run an echo back test 17474743246 I can hear a loud clicking noise and a very bad Echo. I could not get the phone to dial anything but 411 today with this configuration (must be to much noise from my end).

Another issue I have is that when I turn the phone on and the wifi reconnects, I have to open Schap's VoIP tool and save my settings again, wait a few seconds..... open the phone dialer and it says SipPhone.

WOW, I just tried a test. I dialed a local sip access number and called my sip number at Gizmo from my home phone. My home phone by the way is VOIP through QuantumVoice over a DSL line. The call quality was awesome, I mean really good. The speaker volume on my Apache was very low, but I could hear fine in a quiet room. The call quality from my Apache to my home phone was crystal clear, and rich, not tinny at all. There were no chops throughout the entire 4 minute test with my 8 year old son. Pretty good considering I had two VOIP transmissions over the single Residential DSL line. I don't know why I am having a problem dialing out to the Gizmo test numbers.

This by the way is a way to get free incomming calls on SIP VOIP, may be time limited, don't use it much so don't know. My home plan has unlimited calling so I just call everyone back when they call me.

Your not working over wifi issue could be your settings under
control panel\connections\connections\advanced\selected networks
"Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using:"
try setting this to my work network or my isp. Mine is curently set to my ISP because it kept trying to call the nonexistent #777 data dialup and drove me buggy as well as didn't work.

I really want something that can run IM and voip over a jabber server on my work network since they are too cheap to buy there engineers cell phones. I tried OCTO Talk but it kept trying to hit it's server through our firewall.

long and windy, sorry this is my first post every on any forum.

Summary:

Alltel Apache ppc6700 running wm6 upgrade

CUSTEL Voip.cab from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...07&postcount=1

SetupVoIP_v0.3.cab (Schap's VoIP tool)

Call only works over the speaker phone at low volume, but hey, its free.