View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
mariano3113

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Defecting to Android soon...

I understand that it has a set-in-stone date to 2.1, but that's almost the equivalent of the semi-newer HTC Sprint ROM update. I'm talking about further support down the road. If I were going to get an Android Phone I would wait and get a newer HTC device. I try to stay away from Samsung & LG because they tend to drop support almost completey. Such as changing the connector every other model and usually having a different model for the US and rest of the world - which doesn't help contribute to community support. Atleast with HTC most cables/accesories can be transferred from HTC model to HTC model. (Exceptions usually being that a device does not support TV-Out... aka current Android & Snapdragon HD2) But HTC's propiertary EXT-USB accepts standard micro-usb - where as Samsung and LG like to make some propiertary usb connection that is not micro-usb compatible and will change with the newer/upgarded model. (Costing more for accesories with less return on investment, but I guess when dealing with Smartphones who cares - seeing as how it is a luxury item anyway)

But back to further support or Official development. Sprint/HTC have dropped the ball when it comes to releasing 6.5 for the Touch Pro, but Sprint/Samsung will eventually not release newer Android builds for older models. Both cases will cause you to either feed into their BS and purchase a newer phone, or you can be contempt and stick with whatever OS build they left you hanging with...OR you can Hard-SPL/ROOT and install newer custom ROMs/OS_Builds yourself. What I'm trying to say is no matter what road you choose, if your really trying to get the most bang for the buck and most performance out of your device - you shouldn't be relying on the Carrier/Manufactuerer to do so. If that's how things should be we wouldn't have sites like these or communities so deeply devoted to custimization. We would have Blackberry's with monthly updates....with minimal change and custimization and just be satisfied.

I enjoy using Android a lot. I enjoy running Eclair 2.1 and confusing people that have a Hero or Moment with stock OS builds. They wonder how my Windows Mobile Phone has a newer version than theirs but they are afraid to ROOT and void warranty. (Which Ironically you do not need to "unlock" to have Android on the Touch Pro- just need space on an SD-Card.)

Again be wise and I'm sure you'll enjoy moving to Android. I'm more of saying don't choose a phone for the Carrier/Manufactuer support but more of the shelf-life/capability and community development/support.