View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
eval-
PPCGeeks Regular

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC Sense 2.5 & 2.1 ROMs | WM 6.5 / WM 6.5.x | 21055 / 21887 / 28014 | 2/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
1. Any particular SYS? just the latest/stabalist?
2. Leave Opera out or add back in?
3. Leave Google out or add back in?
4. YouTube out or in? I'm pretty sure it's going back in
5. LZX Compression, yes or no? anyone running into any issues w/ it?

anything else needed added or removed?

I cooked a 28014 ROM last night w/ opera 10.3 + Google 4 + Youtube.....still was using LZX Compression.....still had 80mb storage, but really, I dont need all that space, and if it runs better w/o compression, I can easily sacrifice the small amount of storage.
I'm for stable/fast over recent. I second the poster that suggests Opera 10 go to Internal Storage if only because setting all the cache paths by hand gets tedious. But since the Diamond storage is non-removable, could you cook these smarter values in? Another issue I've had was with \Application Data\Volatile filling up my device when Outlook went all stupid on me. I think this can be set in HKLM\System\FileSys by editing the TempPath key. And as I mentioned, I'd like to see Opera work out-of-the-box if it comes cooked in to 6.5 w/ 2.1. This involves either disabling Push Internet (why is it enabled? is it useful?) or editing \Windows\27c65cbd_manila to add a:
NavigateUrl="http://something..."
in the <Banner ... /> section (pretty straightforward.)

Finally, I settled on your 6.5 2.1 ROM after a long search because of the inclusion of a minimum of essential apps, the speed, and the amount of free space (less than 50-60m wont cut it for me.) I don't know what the trade-off is for LZX, but I think you already have found a sweet spot for space vs. performance. Unless the performance hit is rather small, you'd probably risk less by cleaning \Windows or clearing out png/jpgs or stripping things out of .dlls (phcanimages.dll is out of control! 10meg of bitmaps for a dialer?! see: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86398&page=2 and now that I use iDialer/iContacts I wonder if I need it at all...)

PS. Anyone out there found a SIP program for VoIP they actually like? I've tried PortSIP, Talkonaut, Fring... all are somewhat underwhelming. And how much can I use Google Voice+SIP for free calls before Spring will notice?