View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 09:59 AM
kscawley
PPCGeeks Regular

kscawley is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: (*NEW)[02-17-10]V3 Timberwolf 6.5.5 Sense 2.5 2012 (23534) MMS working - MAX 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nice View Post
Where do I find Winrar and how do I unpack rar file on my desktop. And where do I find the RomUpdateUtility.exe to be able to flash my phone?
RAR is a compression format, similar to a ZIP file. Multiple files can be grouped together and compressed into one file for convenience and to make the overall file smaller to speed upload and download times. There are literally dozens of different file compression formats. the .cab files used to install apps and patches on our phones is another format.

Windows has the ability to compress and decompress Zip files natively. To work with Rar files you need to install a program that can handle its format. WinRar is the "original" windows Rar application, and can be downloaded from here http://rarlabs.com/rar/wrar392.exe. This is a shareware application, so at some point you will need to pay a license fee to continue using it. There are other freeware applications out on the net that can do the same thing.

Once you download and install WinRar on your PC it will recognize the ROM you downloaded as a compressed file. Double clicking on the ROM will launch WinRar and show you the contents of the compressed file. RomUpdateUtility is one of the files.

It is suggested you uncompress all files (click the "Extract To" icon on the WinRar taskbar) to an empty folder on your computer, and then double click the RomUpdateUtility to launch it from there. I flash a lot, going between many different roms every few days - I have found I can actually double click RomUpdateUtility from within WinRar itself and have everything proceed normally (it decompresses in the background). But decompressing to a fresh folder first is probably safer.

Once the update utility is launched just follow the prompts. Remember, flashing a new rom clears everything from the device itself, so be sure to backup any text messages, photos, documents, emails etc. before starting.

Good luck!